As the race for top talent intensifies, the need for a streamlined process becomes clear. Enter job distribution software, the game-changer in the world of recruitment.
In this beginner’s guide, we show you the ins and outs of this type of software. You’ll find out what it can potentially do for your business, what common features are included, and how you can get the most out of your job board software of choice.
Here’s what’s included:
- What is job distribution software?
- The benefits of job distribution software
- Is job posting software right for your business?
- How to get the most out of your job posting software
What is job distribution software?
So let’s first explain a bit more about what this type of software is and how it works.
At its core, job distribution software serves as a bridge between employers and multiple job platforms. Other names for this type of hiring tool include job board software, job posting software, multiposting tool, or simply a job posting service.
Instead of the arduous process of visiting each job board individually, this software empowers employers to craft a single job post and then distribute it to several platforms with just a click. That is the main function of a job posting tool. But there’s more.
Most of these software solutions provide additional features that further help you streamline and automate your recruitment process. We’ll list them in a bit. But first, how does job board software actually work?
How job board software works
This might seem almost too good to be true, but the operation is genuinely streamlined. Here’s a more detailed breakdown:
- The user designs a job post, detailing roles, responsibilities, qualifications, and other relevant information within the software interface
- They then select their preferred job boards (and social media channels) from a list
- Once ‘publish’ is clicked, the software automatically formats and distributes the post across the chosen platforms, eliminating redundant effort
Think of it as a broadcasting system, amplifying your message across multiple channels simultaneously. You can either only use it for free job posting sites (like LinkedIn), or post your ad to premium, paid job portals.
Traditionally, you would have to manually create separate accounts for each channel, upload your job ad, and keep track of incoming applications. Now, you have one login, one job ad, and one location where all applications come in.
Common extra features of job distribution tools
The above describes the most basic functionality of job posting software. But in most cases, the tool will incorporate a bunch of other recruitment (and HR) related features.
Some of the most common features include:
- Career page builder, which allows you to create a custom, personalised career site in just a few minutes.
- AI job ad writer, which helps you write a great job ad in just a few seconds.
- Applicant tracking system (ATS), which lets you easily track and manage incoming applications inside the tool.
- Integrated applicant screening methods, such as suggested pre-screening questions or CV parsing technology.
- Optimised workflow solutions such as automated rejection emails or direct communication with candidates inside the applicant tracking system.
- Extra hiring tools and templates, such as interview and hiring scorecards or built-in candidate assessment tools.
The benefits of job distribution software
Seeing those common features, you’ve probably already got an idea of how job posting software might help you hire talent faster. But let’s round up the key benefits:
- Efficiency like never before. Traditionally, hiring managers and HR personnel would be engulfed in dozens of tabs, trying to ensure that job listings are consistent and updated across boards. With this software, there’s a significant reduction in manual entries, errors, and wasted time, enhancing productivity.
- Increased job ad visibility. Casting a wider net ensures that more potential candidates see your listing. This not only increases the volume of applications but also enhances the probability of finding the perfect fit for the role.
- Data-driven decision-making. One often overlooked advantage of job posting distribution software is the analytical insights it gives you. By offering insights into metrics like which job boards yield the most conversions or what type of posts get more traction, it provides strategic direction to optimise your recruitment strategies.
- Save time and money. While the time-saving aspect is undeniable, there’s also a financial benefit. Using a unified platform often comes at a fraction of the cost compared to managing multiple individual job board subscriptions.
Is job posting software right for your business?
If you work at a small startup, you might wonder if you have the budget to invest in such a job posting service. Luckily, you can find the right software to fit any budget, big or small.
Job board software for SMBs
For starters, there are multiple tools out there that can be used completely for free. They offer you all the essential features to help automate your processes, without you having to spend any money.
Suggested read: the 5 best recruiting software for small businesses in 2023.
And that is particularly useful if you run a small-to-medium-sized business (SMB). In this case, you can try out a tool for free first to see what the software can actually do for you. You can try out the basic features while you get to know more about the options available.
Many job board software solutions offer dozens of features and in-app tools. But as a small company, you probably don’t need most of these yet. Instead, focus on a service that you can try for free, that’s intuitive and easy to use, and doesn’t require a complicated onboarding process.
For example, JOIN was recently awarded the 2023 Capterra Ease of Use Badge in the job board software category.
It’s a testimony to how easy businesses find it to use our software. On the review platform, our customers give us an average rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars!
Job board software for larger organisations and enterprises
From here, you can simply tailor the software to your scaling needs and budget. The bigger your organisation, the higher the need for additional features and support will be.
That’s why larger businesses tend to look for job board distribution software that incorporates other types of tools and solutions. This way, they can have all their HR and recruitment processes in one place.
For example, HR management software like Personio provides solutions throughout the HR and hiring process. But as there is no free plan available, this option is often out of reach for smaller businesses. Plus, if your company has five employees, your need for HR management tools is probably not that pressing.
So which job board software is right for your business will strongly depend on the size of your company, your budget, and your specific needs.
How to get the most out of your job posting software
Most job posting tools are easy to use, intuitive, and rather self-explanatory. And if you need further assistance, they are likely to offer customer service or have an FAQ section where you can find answers to your questions yourself.
But to help you get started, here are our top three tips to help you get the most out of your job posting software:
- Optimise your job ads: To help your ad stand out in the crowd, you should craft compelling job descriptions that resonate with your target audience. For a detailed step-by-step guide on how to do this, check out: How to write a great job ad.
- Engage quickly and regularly: Monitor candidate responses and applications and engage promptly and regularly. In today’s recruitment space, you need to be incredibly fast if you want to hire the best talent. Most software solutions offer automation features, like automatic emails, to help speed up your process and optimise the candidate application flow.
- Stay updated with analytics: Regularly review the data your job posting tool provides to refine and adapt your recruitment strategies. You can see what job boards perform well and which don’t to make better informed, data-driven job posting decisions.
The recruitment landscape has been utterly transformed by job distribution software, and it’s easy to see why.
For businesses, the advantages are manifold. From enhanced reach and visibility to cost savings and improved efficiency. So gear up, embrace the future of recruitment, and witness a profound shift in your hiring success.