The Communications Coordinator in your organisation will be responsible for the external image of your brand and company. They will coordinate with media outlets and journalists, as well as working on the internal communications between teams and across the company in general.
Here are some of the more important skill sets for a Communications Coordinator to keep in mind:
- An outstanding communicator across written and verbal platforms, online and offline.
- An open, approachable and confident attitude and personality.
- It would be helpful if they already had connections within the media industry.
- Some events management experience would be beneficial as they’ll either work with the events team, or independently to set up product launches or press releases.
- A great team player with great energy would help them succeed in this role.
Interviewing a Communications Coordinator
Your Communications Coordinator will have experience in media crisis management and avoidance, they will attend and set up press conferences, interviews and appearances. Usually, a Communications Coordinator will join a company during a fast period of growth and when work on a brand and vision has been set.
It’s critical to hire your Communications Coordinator at the right time and essential that you hire someone that will not only fit in with the current team, but will be aligned with your brand.
How to open the job interview
Even the most confident of Communications Coordinators may get nervous during a job interview. It’s important to make your candidates feel at ease so that you can accurately gauge their skills and get the right information from them.
To combat nerves, start the interview with a couple of relaxed questions that get the conversation naturally flowing. This will benefit both you and the candidate!