When hiring a controller you should look for:
- Great communication skills.
- Outstanding attention to detail.
- Time management skills and practice in prioritisation.
- It would be beneficial for you to find a candidate that already has some years experience in the industry, or has got plenty of accredited qualifications.
- From the questions you ask you should get a feeling that the candidate fully understands processes but also has some good interpersonal skills.
Interviews naturally breed nerves, so the first part of your interview should aim to make the candidate feel comfortable speaking with you, you’ll get much more information out of them and a better sense of the person they are if they feel like they can trust the environment they are in.
To do this you can ask some fun and interesting questions linked to the role, they should be open ended and encourage conversation. A good place to start is with behavioural questions.