Start date: January 2024
Kenya work authorization required.
Starting seniority level to be determined based on profile
KOIS is a leading international impact investment and innovative finance advisory firm. We turn projects with high societal and environmental impact into tangible investment propositions for public and private sector clients. We do so by creating innovative financing mechanisms and fund management. We deploy capital in social enterprises and investment funds to generate a financial return, and meaningful and positive impact on society and the environment.
At KOIS, we believe in the power of finance and business - usually in collaboration with public sector and NGOs - to help solve the world’s most pressing social and environmental problems. We believe that a radical transformation towards purposeful investment in the private sector can happen. We trust that a paradigm shift towards more outcome-orientated KPIs in the public and philanthropic sectors is possible. We know that collaboration between the for-profit and not-for-profit sectors is the best way to scale impact solutions.
KOIS has two practices: asset management and innovative finance advisory. This position belongs to the innovative finance advisory practice. Our advisory services arm designs, structures, and implements innovative financial solutions responding to key societal issues. We differentiate ourselves by innovating to offer the best fitted financing solution for each project responding to the unique needs and challenges in the sector.
KOIS has a global reach, with a track record spanning over 25 countries across all continents and with offices in Nairobi, Delhi, Mumbai, Brussels, Paris and London.
KOIS is recruiting talent with a strong interest in pursuing a career in impact finance for their new office in Nairobi. We seek candidates with experience in finance, strategy and innovation that are committed to having a strong impact on their community as well as on international development. Working in an internationally pioneering, entrepreneurial and sustainability committed environment, the candidate will have the opportunity to show leadership and drive impact through projects that create innovative finance products for impact.
- Work in international teams to develop innovative finance products, including assessing the feasibility of different instruments for the client’s problems, designing and structuring instruments and identifying partners and funders to launch an instrument;
- Contribute to the design and structuring of innovative finance products, such as blended finance funds and impact bonds, working in teams to design bespoke instruments for social and environmental issues;
- Conduct problem solving, research and analysis on a range of social and environmental topics related to innovative finance products (e.g., healthcare electrification, sexual reproductive health services, menstrual health and hygiene, refugee education);
- Work closely with clients to understand their innovative finance needs, communicate findings, and provide tailored solutions to address their challenges;
- Educate clients on innovative finance best practices, industry trends, and emerging instruments to empower them with the knowledge needed for effective decision-making;
- Support business development efforts (e.g., research and design new investments opportunities, outreach with potential partners and clients);
- Contribute to building KOIS’s Kenya office and Africa strategy;
- Stay abreast of industry trends, emerging innovative finance instruments, and best practices to bring innovative ideas to clients and KOIS.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (e.g., Finance, Business, Economics, International Development, Public Administration);
- At least 4 years of relevant experience in consulting or investment;
- Experience negotiating and closing financial transactions a plus;
- Knowledge of and ability to apply key finance concepts;
- Domain knowledge/experience in healthcare, education, livelihoods, climate and nature, or gender issues will also be considered favourably and should be specified;
- Experience working in Africa, problem solving for social and environmental issues.
- Independent worker who can acquire and synthesise relevant high-quality data and information and conduct moderately complex analyses;
- Ability to build well-structured Excel and financial models;
- Ability to develop actionable recommendations from analyses and communicate these effectively in project outputs;
- Project management skills to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and ensure timely completion of tasks;
- Strong presentation skills and experience communicating with clients;
- Willingness to stay updated on industry trends, emerging instruments, and best practices to bring innovative ideas to KOIS;
- Strong team player and ability to work in international teams across timezones;
- Demonstrated fluency (spoken and written) in English. Other languages (in particular Swahili) are a plus;
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office Suite of tools including Excel, PowerPoint and Word;
- Upholding KOIS values for integrity, honesty and transparency;
- Entrepreneurial mindset and proactive workstyle
Please submit your resume, cover letter and response to the screening questions in English via JOIN. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, we therefore encourage applicants to submit their application as soon as possible. Given the high number of applications, we are able to respond to candidates selected for the first round of interviews only.