Babbel is driven by a mission: Everyone. Learning. Languages. This means building products that help people connect and communicate across cultures. Babbel, Babbel Travel and Babbel for Business focus on using a new language in the real world, in real situations, with real people. And it works: Studies with Yale University, City University of New York and Michigan State University prove that it gets users talking with confidence.
The key is a blend of humanity and technology. A team of linguistic experts hand-craft each of our courses, to provide content that is constantly adapted to our learners’ needs. Interactive content with videos and podcasts makes understanding a new language easy, because Babbel is for everyone. That’s why our team is as diverse as our content. From headquarters in Berlin and New York, 750 people from more than 60 nationalities represent the backgrounds, characteristics and perspectives that make all humans unique. Making a true connection with millions of paid subscribers across the globe is what makes Babbel the most profitable language learning app worldwide.
Babbel in Numbers:
- The #1 top-grossing language learning app globally
- Millions of active paying subscribers
- More than 60,000 lessons 14 languages hand-crafted by 150+ linguists
- More than 10,000 hours of learning content
- Over 70 learning podcast episodes and over 50 hours of video learning content
We are looking for a Director of Engineering to join our Team in Berlin!
Your mission will be to lead our experience area, a cluster of cross-functional teams focusing on building a better experience for all of our users.
- Inspire your teams and others how technology enables our learners to do better
- Cooperate & collaborate within Product, Engineering and other departments to build what is exciting, valuable and feasible
- Support and drive consensus among all required teams and areas across the company when trying to accomplish larger goals - identify, gather and resolve blockers in your teams and others to move forward
- Mentor and coach direct reports in Engineering as well as peers, review their work and provide constructive feedback on it
- Use data to inform decisions and get buy-in from stakeholders
- Report directly to the CTO
- 5+ years of Experience as an Engineering Manager in a digital product business, ideally for multiple teams
- Outstanding communication, presentation and leadership skills: That means you listen and understand your teams, you are confident in taking decisions when data is not consistent and you can take a diverse team through change
- High level understanding of current technologies, from AWS to mobile development
- Strong skills in the art of balancing short term projects and long term tech investments
- Solid coaching and mentoring skills
Ideally you also have:
- Familiarity with OKRs
- Experience in maintaining and approving budgets
- Capability to deliver multi-year programs
- Aptitude to take decisions with company-wide impact
- A highly visible role with a global & strategic scope
- An opportunity to put your vast expertise into practice and shape the growth of Babbel
- A challenging environment and a lot of experimentation
- A lively startup atmosphere with friendly working hours
- Great company benefits, including a development budget
- A diverse and stimulating learning organisation
- An amazing office in Berlin's coolest district
- Company Bike or BVG card
Sounds good? We look forward to hearing from you!