Babbel is driven by a mission: Everyone. Learning. Languages. This means building products that help people connect and communicate across cultures.
The key is a blend of humanity and technology. A team of linguistic experts hand-craft each of our courses, to provide content that is constantly adapted to our learners’ needs. Interactive content with videos and podcasts makes understanding a new language easy, because Babbel is for everyone. That’s why our team is as diverse as our content. From headquarters in Berlin and New York, 750 people from more than 60 nationalities represent the backgrounds, characteristics and perspectives that make all humans unique. Making a true connection with millions of paid subscribers across the globe is what makes Babbel the most profitable language learning app worldwide.
Babbel in Numbers:
- The #1 top-grossing language learning app globally
- Millions of active paying subscribers
- More than 60,000 lessons 14 languages hand-crafted by 150+ linguists
- More than 10,000 hours of learning content
- Over 70 learning podcast episodes and over 50 hours of video learning content
We are looking for an Engineering Manager to join us in Berlin!
Your mission will be to lead one of our teams in the Impressions Area. This role is at the frontier of new learner’s journeys and focused on building a better experience that inspires learners to try Babbel. Working together with motivated colleagues, you will be collaborating and diving into different disciplines to broaden your knowledge in other fields of expertise as well as share your own.
- Be the Engineering Manager for a cross-functional team of 6-8 members to ensure growth of overall team maturity as well as professional growth of team members. The team includes Product Manager, Product Designer and QA Analyst.
- Keep your team productive and motivated by removing roadblocks and applying a servant leadership approach.
- Reinforce an MVP mindset, continuous improvements of team ways of working.
- Mentor team members, identify and pursue learning opportunities for the team.
- Manage dependencies and expectations, build trust with all stakeholders and deliver on commitments.
- Be accountable for quality, compliance and security aspects of team deliverables.
- Collaborate with product managers and engineers to influence product strategy and drive the product development roadmap.
- Attract, onboard, develop, and retain diverse top talents to your team and transform the landscape of Babbel.
- Experience leading and developing cross-functional teams within an international, agile environment.
- Experience in creating and managing career development plans for engineers with diverse skill sets.
- Passion for business results and people, not just technical excellence.
- Comfortable giving and receiving actionable, constructive feedback.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Deep understanding of agile methodologies like scrum and kanban and ability to optimise, steamline and tailor ceremonies for efficient software development.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
Nice to have
- Experience developing and releasing distributed applications on the cloud (AWS or Google Cloud).
- User-centric prioritization and data-informed decision making.
- Prior work in startup environments.
- Work within a high-performing team at Babbel.
- A steep learning-curve – personally and professionally.
- A stimulating environment and a lot of responsibility to prove your skills.
- A lively startup atmosphere with friendly working hours and remote options.
- Great company benefits (high-end company bike, fresh fruit & drinks).
Sounds good? We are already looking forward to hearing from you! Check out our jobs page, our blog, and our techblog for a fuller picture of #lifeatbabbel!