Babbel is driven by a purpose: Creating mutual understanding through language. This means building an ecosystem of language learning offerings that helps people connect across cultures. Babbel, Babbel Live and Babbel for Business provide users with the most effective solution to be able to communicate with real people, in real situations. The key is a blend of humanity and technology. More than 60,000 lessons across 14 languages are hand-crafted by 150+ linguists, with user behaviours continuously analysed to shape and tweak the learner experience. And it works: Studies with Yale University, City University of New York and Michigan State University prove its effectiveness. From headquarters in Berlin and New York, 750 people from more than 65 nationalities represent all the differences that make humans unique. Babbel is the most profitable language learning app worldwide, with more than 10 million subscriptions sold. For more information, visit www.babbel.com or download the apps in the App Store or Play Store.
We are looking for a Director of Product Design for our office in Berlin!
If you are ...
- Passionate about User Experience, and skilled in combining input from different specialisms into a delightful, and meaningful user journey
- Discovery minded. Supporting our teams to improve how we use design thinking and related discovery methods in their regular workflow
- A Builder of people: eager to grow and empower your Product Design team, bringing joy and delight into our work, and to our learners
- Experienced in working with Empowered Product Teams (multi-functional), with the lateral leadership skills to align around a shared vision, and design principles
- a People person, and skilled in combining input from different specialisms
Then we should definitely talk!
- Work closely with the Product & Engineering leadership, and report directly to the CPO
- Help us to make better use of Design at Babbel, embedding it even more fluidly into the product development cycle, for greater learner impact.
- Take full ownership of the entire User Experience in our Products, as well as championing User Centricity across all of Babbel.
- Lead a team of around 20 Product Designers, covering a range of specialisms (incl UX Research, UX Writing, Design systems engineers). Many of our Design team are embedded into development teams. In these cases you will share line management together with their business leader (typically a Product Director)
- Mentor and inspire the design team to consistently improve and grow their skills
- Collaborate our Brand and Marketing teams to align on shared Design Principles
- 5+ years of design experience and 3+ years of management experience.
- Proven success as a line manager, leading a medium-sized team fully embedded into multifunctional development teams
- A well rounded and diverse background with experience in multiple digital products
- An ability to leverage research insights to inform product decisions, and to advocate for hypothesis-driven product design and development
- Shipped customer-facing products
- A user-centric approach and will advocate for our learners
- Experience managing budgets and costs
- Experience in internal communication roll-out strategy and ability to gain buy-in from stakeholders
- A passion for languages and love for design
Ideally you also have:
- Familiarity with OKRs
- Experience in maintaining and approving budgets
- Experience in edTech
- Experience in helping different disciplines and multiple teams innovate together
- A steep learning-curve – personally and professionally
- A challenging environment and a lot of responsibility to prove your skills
- A lively startup atmosphere with friendly working hours
- A vibrant international company with 750 people from over 65 different nationalities
- Great company benefits (30 vacation days, Sabbatical, a BVG ticket or Swapfiets bike, fresh fruit and drinks)
Sounds good? We are already looking forward hearing from you! Check out also our jobs page, our blog and our techblog to get an impression about #lifeatbabbel!